Last Updated on
Is your child a budding Einstein? The right science kit can help feed their interest. Read on to learn how to find the best science kits for kids.
“Thousands of geniuses live and die undiscovered — either by themselves or by others.” – Mark Twain
A 2013 NPR poll found that almost 25% of American parents feel children do not receive adequate training in science. Do you agree? With so many schools funneling all their assets into ensuring children pass standardized tests, it’s no wonder parents are concerned. And it’s no wonder students are losing interest in education.
What can you do to motivate your child, to keep him or her interested and prepared for a bright and sparkling future? There’s an easy solution, and it comes in a neat box packed with adventure: a science kit. If you find the right one, you’re sure to inspire the genuine curiosity all children are equipped with. But how to pick? And where do you begin?
Benefits of Kids’ Science Kits
Here, we’ll explain the advantages of these kits, describe how to find the right one and even detail the best science experiment kits for kids on the market today.
Science kits aren’t just for fun. On top of the cool accessories, they are also filled with advantages.
Science kits offer a plethora of educational advantages and even increase motor, cognitive and soft skills. Most importantly, your child will be learning!
- Experimental Learning: Science kits are hands-on, and hands-on activities activate the brain. Specifically, between the ages of four and seven, children will internalize information received through interactive engagements more than other types of learning. During this stage, the right side of the brain is developing; as a result, visual and spatial activities engage the brain.
- Critical Thinking: Science kits encourage critical thinking, which can foster inventiveness and raise IQ. In science, this helps children understand and solve everyday problems. Furthermore, studies have found the use of science kits is positively related to subject comprehension.
- Following Instructions: Individual learning styles impact how children receive, comprehend and follow directions. Science kits are advantageous because they give you and your child the freedom to decide how to move forward in the kit. Children can try the directions alone, have a parent or friend help them or even have the directions read to them.
2. Foster a Learning Environment
To learn, truly learn, children must be in an environment that promotes investigation. Being able to learn in the safety of their homes allows children to feel at ease and less pressured. Just like when a child is learning to ride a bike, failures can affect confidence and hinder the learning process. In a safe and positive environment, those obstacles are removed.
Without safety and encouragement, little people focus only on survival. With a science kit, children are in a comfortable atmosphere and free to explore. Such surroundings increase test scores, grades, and even relationships.
3. Create Fun Time
Fun time isn’t just about making learning fun, although the best science kits for kids certainly accomplish this. In fact, neurologist Judy Willis writes, “The highest-level executive thinking, making of connections, and ‘aha’ moments are more likely to occur in an atmosphere of ‘exuberant discovery,’ where students of all ages retain that kindergarten enthusiasm of embracing each day with the joy of learning.”
Additionally, kits allow children to form positive memories with family members and friends.
4. Cultivate Curiosity
Furthermore, science kits encourage curiosity. Curiosity has been linked to overall happiness, positive relationship building, and creativity. By encouraging curiosity in the form of science kits, you are quite literally helping your child become a stronger, healthier person. These science experiment kits for kids are great at fostering and expanding the natural acquisitive mind of kids.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing
Before buying a science experiment kit, it’s important to make sure it’s the perfect one for your own little person. Below are a few tips:
- What is your child interested in? Align the kit type with the little one’s interests.
- Don’t force the child to open the kit. Gently nudge or encourage them.
- Always check the kit’s recommended age and take your child’s learning style into consideration.
- Will the kit actually teach your child or is it merely a project that contains little to no information about science?
By taking these factors into consideration, you will be sure to find the right kit for your kid!
5 Best Science Kits for Kids of 2019
Still lost? Don’t worry; we’ve outlined the best five science kits for kids on the market.
So simple that any toddler will love it and fascinating enough it’s sure to attract their attention, this kit is ideal for kids interested in insects or nature.
Caterpillars are provided separately through a voucher, and children get to watch them grow, spin silk and harden into chrysalides. After this point, they are transferred to a mesh container, where the butterflies will soon emerge.
For children six and up, this has everything your miniature Einstein could desire: magic ooze, color changing foods, jiggly crystals, and volcanoes.
The 11 activities are designed to give children the basic knowledge of science. The kit focuses on chemical reactions and provides adults with a step-by-step manual as well as answers to the questions your child will ask along the way.
Teach children to be earth-friendly with the Eco Science Toys kit!
Use household items to make cool toys, like a race car, clock or robot. This is an excellent way to encourage children to think differently about their world and how they can use everyday items.
If you have a little person between three and five, this is an amazing starter kit. It introduces children to magnification, filtering and magnetic forces with 24 easy-to-handle tools.
The great thing about this science kit is that it is perfect for beginners. The tools allow open-ended investigation, and the manual provides easy ways for parents or guardians to encourage learning.
With Star Wars being all the craze right now, it’s the best science experiment kit for kids interested in programming, computers, or coding. If you’re looking for a fun science experiment kit, this is the one.
While this kit doesn’t have the test tubes or equipment most parents associate with science, it’s an excellent introduction to robotics and technology. With the droid and accompanying app, children can learn the basics of coding and watch as it is applied to R2-D2.
And, really, what child doesn’t want R2-D2 beeping at him as they watch Star Wars clips together?
Forget those expensive video games for the next birthday; instead, inspire a mixture of fun and education with science kits so that you can help your child find his or her own inner genius.