Last Updated on
Want to shoot some hoops without go to the basketball court? If so, the best portable basketball hoops are a perfect choice.
Portable basketball hoops are popular for use in a variety of situations, including homes, apartment complexes, and community parks. All you need to get started is the hoop itself and a ball to shoot with. In this article, we’ll look at the best portable basketball hoops of 2018 and get a feel for the different options and styles available.
Top 10 Best Portable Basketball Hoops
We’ve assembled a list of the top 10 best portable basketball hoops for all different purposes. Whether at home or on the go, portable basketball hoops are a versatile way to get some fun and practice in with teammates and friends. Let’s take a look at the best models on the market today.
Rating: Best Portable Basketball Hoop for Youth
The Lifetime Youth Basketball Hoop is a solid choice for kids and teens. Featuring a 32” impact backboard, telescoping height adjustment base, and 15” folding rim with nylon netting, this hoop has everything you need to get into the game. Plus, the 10-gallon base can be filled with water or sand for added stability.
- Durable construction and high-quality components offer security and performance for your kids
- Weather-resistant materials and metal coating prevent rust and damage
- Comes with a convenient 5-year manufacturer warranty
Rating: Best Portable Basketball Hoop for Driveway
This feature-packed steel frame hoop offers everything you need to play with the pros. The modern design offers a sleek infinity-edge plexiglass backboard that offers performance and style. Easy assembly and adjustable ErgoMove base allow you to set up and position the NXT hoop on your driveway or in any convenient location.
- Infinity edge backboard offers increased rebound for authentic play
- Steel base and wheelbarrow design allow you to securely position the hoop anywhere
- Assembly takes less than 90 minutes
Rating: Best Portable Basketball System
As one of the more expensive hoops on our list, the Spalding NBA Hybrid offers everything you need in on solid package. With a giant 54” plexiglass backboard and Spalding’s proprietary height adjustment technology, this system mimics a full NBA court. Plus, thanks to a steel frame and 200-pound base, security and stability are never an issue.
- Full height adjustment from 7.5” to 10” with Infinite Adjust technology
- Performance hoop features breakaway rim for dunking
- Hybrid base combines water and sand for incredible sturdiness
Rating: Best Durable Basketball Hoop
The Lifetime 71524 provides solid performance thanks to its Shatter Guard backboard and professional Power Lift height adjustment tech. Plus, this midrange hoop offers a ton of high-performance features like a steel rim, weather-resistant coatings, and a best in class warranty. One of the best basketball hoops for durability and performance play.
- Shatter Guard provides a shatterproof polycarbonate backboard for strength
- Slam-it Pro Rim has a wraparound steel base made for dunking
- Weather-resistant net and pole combined with a 35 gallon base provide extra security
Rating: Best Junior Basketball Hoop
Another solid option for kids, the Best Choice Portable Hoop is an ultra-affordable choice with great features. You’ll find heavy-duty steel construction, weather-resistant materials, and a powerful base that can take lots of wear and tear. Your kids will love the height-adjustable hoop and nylon nettings for a quality feel that works for them.
- Made of heavy-duty steel with a polyethylene panel for durability
- Convenient size makes it great for indoor or outdoor play
- Professional grade materials make for a solid game, regardless of age
Rating: Best Budget Basketball Hoop
The Lifetime 90073 Pro Court System packs everything you need for the game without breaking the bank. With a giant 44” acrylic backboard and a telescoping height adjustment mechanism, you’re set to game with the pros. High-end features like a 27-gallon base and a full 5-year warranty round out this unit, making for an affordable choice not lacking on features.
- Ships with a black and blue 44” shatterproof acrylic backboard
- Fill the base with water or stand for added stability
- Includes a 5-year warranty and Lifetime’s renowned customer support
Rating: Best Mobile Basketball Hoop
The Sklz Pro Mini is a complete basketball system in one tiny package. The ultra-durable construction and professional look offers style and performance at a fraction of the size and cost of similar models. Featuring an adjustable backboard and breakaway rim, the Pro Mini is one of the most versatile and efficient basketball hoops on our list.
- Includes a pro-grade breakaway rim for slamming monstrous dunks
- Durable 2.5” polycarbonate backboard is shatterproof and perfect for competitive games
- Can extend from 3.5 to 7 feet for optimized shooting
Rating: Best Portable Basketball Hoop for Practice
The Franklin Sports Basketball Hoop is one of the best portable basketball hoops for practicing and upping your game. This is all thanks to the large 48” plexiglass backboard, 18” steel rim, and incredible telescoping height mechanism. Coming in at an affordable price point, the Franklin Hoop offers authentic performance for a reasonable cost.
- 18” steel rim breaks away for awesome dunks
- 28-gallon base can be filled with sand or water, then wheeled to the perfect location
- Durable materials and weather-resistant coatings offer unrivalled performance guarantees
Rating: Best Portable Basketball Hoop for Easy Assembly
New to the scene, KLB Sport has put together an attractive and high-performance hoop at a low price point. Featuring a nice array of specifications like a large backboard, portable base, and steel finishes, this hoop is built to last. Plus, putting your new hoop together is a breeze thanks to KLB’s unique assembly system.
- Ultra-portable with built-in wheels for moving and positioning the hoop
- Polyethylene impact plastic combined with steel accents offer durability and performance
- Easy assembly and backed by KLB’s satisfaction guarantee and warranty
Rating: The Best Portable Basketball Hoop
True to its name, the Spalding NBA Beast is unlike any other hoop on our list. The giant 60” glass backboard and pro-style breakaway rim makes for unrivaled performance. As the most expensive model on our list, it comes with all the bells and whistles and can truly claim the title of the best portable basketball hoop.
- 50-gallon dual capacity base offers unbeatable durability and security for your investment
- Height adjustable thanks to the two-piece telescoping pole movement
- Unique four-point board mount offers stability and optimal reinforcement
What is a Portable Basketball Hoop?
A portable basketball hoop is a mobile backboard that is used to play basketball. At the bare minimum, it consists of a raised vertical board and a basket or net to capture the ball. It’s a great way to enjoy basketball without the need for a full-size court.
Portable basketball hoops come in a variety of styles and are made of different materials, depending on the brand and parts used. They work alongside your other equipment to provide a solid game.
Parts of a Basketball Hoop
Basketball hoops are comprised of a number of different parts. The main 3 we’ll be discussing are the backboard, basket or rim, and base.
The backboard is the part of the basketball hoop that lies behind the net. Backboards play a very important role in the game, allowing players to do trick shots and use it as another tool for scoring points. The backboards on portable basketball hoop are often made of plexiglass or polyethylene for shatter resistance and come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
The basket or rim is the part of the hoop where you shoot the ball. It connects to and extends from the backboard to allow for easy shooting. Generally comprised of a metal rim and nylon netting, a durable assembly is a must.
Lastly, the base is the stand that holds the portable basketball hoop together. This generally consists of a large stand and metal pole extending up to the back of the baseboard, holding everything together.
But what does all this mean when choosing a basketball hoop?
How to Choose the Best Portable Basketball Hoop
One of the great things about basketball is that it’s a sport for all ages. Everyone can join in to have fun and get some exercise. However, young people and adults have different needs when it comes to choosing the best hoop. Fortunately, our top 10 list includes an option for everybody.
That said, there are still many things to consider when picking out the right hoop. From size to style, to parts and more- you’ve got options.
Features to Consider
- Size. Depending on who is using the basketball hoop and what space is available, you’ll need to choose a suitable size. Kids and teens will require a smaller option that allows them to reach the net and make trick shots, while adults will want a larger hoop that offers room to move around and practice.
- Style. There are many different styles of portable basketball hoops depending on color, design, and which materials are used. Look around for high-quality polyethylene backboards, steel poles and rims, and durable plastic bases.
- Backboard. Choosing the right backboard is possibly the most important factor when deciding on a portable basketball hoop. Square, rectangular, oval, and other styles are all solid options. Look for sturdy, high-quality polycarbonate boards by respected brands such as Lifetime or Spalding.
- Rim. Another important part to think about is the rim and net setup. Durability plays a huge role here, so try to get a hoop with coated steel rims and thick nylon or all-weather netting.
- Base. The support pole and base are what keep your hoop upright, grounded, and they’re also what keeps you safe. Again, steel poles or other heavy-duty metals are best suited here, while bases that you fill with sand or water are industry standard.
Choosing the right basketball hoop can be a challenging decision, but the perfect model is out there. Do your research and read product reviews to get an idea of what’s best for you. Regardless of the model you choose, once you’ve locked down the right one it’s time to set it up.